Who Can Be A Godparent!
According to Canon Law the following is required of Godparents:
- They must be at least 16 years of age.
- They must be someone other tha the parents of the child.
- They must be a practicing Catholic who has been baptized, received the Holy Eucharist and been Confirmed. They must be in good standing with the church. (For example they may not be divorced and remarried without having an annulment.)
- They must be chosen by the parents and have the ability and intention of fulfilling their role.
- It is only required that a child have ONE Godparent. You may have one Non-Catholic Christian act as a "Christian Witness" rather than a second Godparent.
- If there are TWO godparents one must be male and one female. You may even choose to have more than two if at least 1 is male and one is female.